I don't know what to do anymore

A place to discuss anything and everything.
Erin.nu

Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:35 pm

I have had a rat problem at my apartment for awhile now. I honestly hate them because they gross me out and finding dead ones in traps is even worse. I never had this problem until a young couple moved in next door. They quickly moved out because of the issue. I firmly believe they caused it, but the landlord doesn't think so. They have chewed up my carpet and my furniture. They claim that they are not responsible for the damage, but in my opinion they are. An exterminator comes every Tuesday, and he still can't get rid of them. I wish my apartment complex would hire someone else, but they won't.

I was offered to move into another apartment but couldn't do it because I would be responsible for moving costs, as well as other reasons that would be a problem for me. Another main reason being that this whole complex has a history of rat problems, and the landlord will even admit to that (if I had known this, I wouldn't have moved in). I have 6 months left on my lease and I honestly just want to get out of here. I've been experiencing nothing but problems for the past year. I also have had no hot water for months. Because of my numerous complaints, the landlord has been giving me keys to shower in vacant apartments. I've lived here for 4 years and never had to deal with problems until now.

Kalliste

Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:37 am

What does you lease say about living in conditions like that? Over here if you had no hot water for months you would have a valid reason to break the lease and move. We also have a place you can go to for advise but I really have no idea what it is like in the US.

If it were me, I would never put up with no hot water and would be refusing to pay my full rent until it was fixed.

Erin.nu

Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:47 pm

Basically since they've offered me alternative options, there's nothing I can do since they offered me a different apartment. I don't remember what the whole thing says and I can't find it, but I am required to pay full rent on time regardless or I'll face eviction.

Kya

Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:10 am

Wow, that is so awful. :( It really doesn't seem right that you should have to put up with that, regardless of if you were offered to move or not. :/
Image Kya
kya.nu - @up

Erin.nu

Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:38 pm

I'm hoping I can find a better place when the 6 months are up. I've been really unhappy here and I think moving out of this complex would be best. Here's my list of reasons why I don't want to stay:
  • Rats
    Other pest problems
    The hot water issue
    The chiller system (which is the air conditioning) is always shutting down in the summer when it gets up to 115 degrees
    Leaks
    Leaf blowers too early in the morning several days a week
    Too many rude/gossiping neighbors
    Inconsiderate neighbors who make lots of noise
    The water is always being shut off for "repairs"
    Too many people moving in and out in short periods of time
    Maintenance shows up whenever they feel like it, usually at inconvenient times.
Maybe I'm being picky, but I've never had to deal with any of that in any other apartment I've lived in.

• Information