Should I take this job if they offer it?

A place to discuss anything and everything.
Elfwink

Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:10 pm

So I've been out of paid work for several months now. I have been getting about 2 interviews every week, so people must be seeing something in me.

Yesterday I interviewed at a place which was about 25 minute drive from home. Okay, that's good, and the people seem okay... But! THEY SMOKE CIGARETTES IN THE OFFICE! (I'm pretty sure is violation of health and safety standards in this country.) Their coffee table had a fruit bowl full of cigarette cartons, and the place was just smelly and grotty. Eww.

Look, if people want to smoke in their private homes, that's fine. You're allowed to smoke - I won't punch you in the face. But me, I have small, weak lungs. And cigarette smoke makes me nauseous and my eyes water. I would never date someone who smoked, so working in a place that smokes is out of the question.

Personally, I would take this job if it was my first one, or I had less than $0 in my bank account. But considering I have found jobs in nicer, cleaner places before I'm willing to hold out a little longer. I felt nauseous after a 30 minute interview... I'm not sure I'd last a day in there.

My health means more to me than job security.

What are your thoughts?

Am I being too self-entitled here?

Would you accept a job that violated your personal taste, or risked your health?
You are important. Seize the day.
- Blog: Lekku

Kalliste

Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:02 am

I definitely wouldn't, in fact I'd probably report them. What they're doing is illegal and they're endangering their employees health. What industry is it in? I'm hoping nothing to do with food (although I have noticed that a high number of hospitality workers seem to smoke - maybe it's just that you notice it more if you walk past somewhere and they're smoking out the front, or at least I do).

Also, given your aversion to smoking and their apparent love of it you'd probably end up as an outcast. I once worked in a place where all the management smoked and they, coincidentally, promoted a lot of people that also smoked because they had a little boys club going.

Maybe it's just that the smoking laws aren't as strict down there as they are here. On my last visit to Melbourne it was strange to see ashtrays on cafe tables and smoking allowed in garden areas.. Hopefully the laws here become national laws at some point.

Kya

Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:37 am

Whoa, that is so wrong that they are smoking in the office and it would certainly be illegal. I wouldn't stand to work in that kind of environment if it has an impact on your health because it would not be worth it. Personally, I am a smoker, but there is no way that I would ever do that in a work environment, or any public space. :/ So wrong.
Image Kya
kya.nu - @up

AdriCULOUS

Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:54 am

I would also wait for a better, safer environment to work. If you think about it, the interviewers are also trying to make an impression of what they represent if they do like you and want you to work for them. If they offer it, you do have the right to reject it without even telling them the reason why. But at the same time, I would also report them as well. Well, that's what should happen if this were located in the U.S.

Elfwink

Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:50 am

Oh, I'm so glad you all agree. I'm glad there are some smokers who understand that it can make some people out there sick.

I know there are many people out there who need a job to pay the bills, but my health comes first. And I think I would rather have a long commute, than be stuck in a smelly place that is bad for my health.
You are important. Seize the day.
- Blog: Lekku

• Information