It's so cold that...

A place to discuss anything and everything.
Elfwink

Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:49 am

I can't get out of bed in the morning!

Ok, please take this seriously. :( I don't want to think that I'm just being a wimp, but when I wake up in the morning, the cold air gives me physical pain sensations, and I just want to stay in bed until it warms up outside.

I'm not sure whether this is psychosomatic, that I'm unfit (and have bad circulation as a result), or I simply need to wear warmer clothes to bed. But if my sheets, blankets, and pyjamas are too warm, then I will overheat! @_@

I officially work from home now, and I don't want it to be an excuse to be sloppy with my routine.

Eh, maybe I should go out and buy some flannelette bed sheets, and see if that makes any difference.

To anyone who lives in a cold climate, how do YOU get out of bed when there's a temptation to stay in the warm place?
You are important. Seize the day.
- Blog: Lekku

Kalliste

Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:02 am

Flannelette sheets are a great idea. I never used them until last year but they feel significantly warmer. I got a nice set of 'luxury' ones at Aldi of all places for $50 for a queen bed but I know bigw and kmart have them somewhat cheaper (I also have a a set of bigw ones but they're not as thick or nice as the aldi ones).

Do you have an electric blanket? I set mine to a low setting and have the timer set to 2 hrs. It obviously doesn't help for the morning but you could always have it on a low setting all night to keep you at least a little warm.
If you don't, do you have a hot water bottle? I used to use them before I bought an electric blanket and they're great. Again doesn't help with the morning but will keep you warm for the first few hours.

In relation to clothes, I'm a hot sleeper but I'm currently still wearing long sleeved shirts and long pants to bed. I usually don't if the temp over night is down to maybe 2 or 3 degrees but anything colder than that I will. I never wear socks because I end up hot and sweaty and gross regardless of how cold it got at night.

In relation to getting up, my boyfriend has a similar issue to you although he has to commute to work and we catch the bus so he has to get up at some point but normally leaves it to the latest possible second.

I don't know what advise to give about that, for me I get up as soon as my alarm goes off regardless of whether it's freezing or not. My mindset is that I just have to get up. I don't want to but I have no choice.

Do you have a heater in the room you work in? We have a little column heater, maybe you could buy something like that and make your routine something like:
alarm goes off (if you set one, maybe you should and get in the mindset of "I'm setting an alarm which means I need to start getting ready to work", get up and turn the heater on then go have a shower. The shower should warm and wake you up and then you'll go back to a warm room too and hopefully be able to start your day.

Elfwink

Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:43 am

I like the room heater idea. I might have to try that. Thanks. :)
You are important. Seize the day.
- Blog: Lekku

• Information