MAMP, anyone?

Want to chat or get help with website coding and design?
Susanne

Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:53 am

Is anyone developing themes or other things locally on Mac, and familiar with MAMP?

Elfwink

Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:08 am

I use XAMPP on Windows. Is it at all similar?
You are important. Seize the day.
- Blog: Lekku

Karin

Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:02 am

We use MAMP on Mac at work. Can't say I'm overly familiar with it though as it was already set up and running when I started, and I haven't had much reason to mess around with it. :P

Susanne

Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:36 pm

Elfwink, I'd guess it's rather similar to Xampp. I'm still not used to installing things on my own computer instead of a web host, but I did one Wordpress install that seemed to work fine, but now recently it behaves crazy and doesn't want to upload stuff (import xml from other Wordpress sites, upload photos etc) and keeps asking for ftp details when I want to add plugins, I also get a message if the parent directory is writable by the server. I have no idea how to fix this.

I right clicked the folder, chose "get info" and chose "read and write" for all but this hasn't fixed the problem. Is there anything I should do in the MAMP application itself? I thought it was fantastic being able to develop themes offline so this is a real bummer.

AdriCULOUS

Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:22 am

I'm using AMPPS for Windows. I tried MAMP before on Windows, but AMPPS is built by Softaculous, so there's a Softaculous already pre-installed in AMPPS.

As far as I know, I would go to the MAMP folder (or AMPPS in my case) and just manually install all the plugins and stuff from there like I would do on an FTP. It should act the same way. Otherwise I don't know what to do in that situation.

Or if you prefer, maybe try AMPPS on your Mac (it has a Mac version too). Just uninstall MAMP, then install AMPPS. Back up the files you're working on first though.

Susanne

Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:44 pm

AdriCULOUS wrote:I'm using AMPPS for Windows. I tried MAMP before on Windows, but AMPPS is built by Softaculous, so there's a Softaculous already pre-installed in AMPPS.

As far as I know, I would go to the MAMP folder (or AMPPS in my case) and just manually install all the plugins and stuff from there like I would do on an FTP. It should act the same way. Otherwise I don't know what to do in that situation.

Or if you prefer, maybe try AMPPS on your Mac (it has a Mac version too). Just uninstall MAMP, then install AMPPS. Back up the files you're working on first though.
I did install the plugins manually but the problem is that to test themes using the customiser I need to be able to do file uploads through Wordpress itself. However, I'll test AMPPS and see how that behaves.

• Information